4.12.2011

Santorini

The shoe that graces April 12th on the calendar is the pointy-toed embroidered leather flat from England, circa 1795.
I checked my email and among the sizable amount of Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter notifications was a promotional email from Michael Kors. In the subject box: "The Famed Santorini." Odd, I thought. This "Santorini" they speak of never appeared in my life before. If I never heard of it, why is it famed? Then I opened the email and saw this:
Click photo to buy, $178.
And I realized that good things come to those who wait. I never coveted anything woven before. It's a whole new world. An ordinary person* would take one look at this and think, "Ew, why would I want a clutch made out of wood? God these people." Then they would put down the rejected bag in question and go feast their narrow minded eyes on something else. After which I would rescue the cast off and recognize its original value. 
In English class we read a short story called The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs. It creeps me out. I have an assignment to write on what I would do if I had three wishes and what kind of consequences would happen if I wished for them. The whole point of this is that we are supposed to notice that fate rules our lives or something weird like that.
Of course the day can't go by without me getting another project. For French, I have to plan an actual vacation to a country of my teacher's choice. She gave me Egypt. So I have to learn whatever the Egyptian official language is as part of the presentation. I just about had a huge heart attack when I saw that it was Arabic, because there is no way I'd be able to accomplish that. But then some more Googling led to the discovery that Egypt is a francophone country and as a result, English and French are widely spoken there. I'm saved.

XOXO,
Nina

*A person at the bottom of the fashion totem pole. Don't look now, but I was there once. Oh yes, what a tortured, horrifying past I had.

Disclaimer

None of the photos are mine unless they are taken by me and if not, there is always credit given to whoever the photo belongs to.